- Sleeps 6-8
- Free WiFi
- No smoking
- Pet friendly
- Grade 2 listed
- Open fire
- TV & DVD player
- Fridge freezer
- Larder fridge
- Induction hob
- Rayburn for cooking (no grill)
- Iron & ironing board
- Washing machine
- 2 Double bedrooms
- 1 Twin bedroom
- All bedlinen, towels, teatowels, coal and oil provided
- Bath with shower over
- Saturday changeover day
With stunning views over the River Swale and down the dale, Nettlebed is a homely cottage with a quirky old-fashioned atmosphere (and Grade 2 listed).
A detached house in a rural countryside setting, the house is nevertheless not far from the villages of Low Row and Gunnerside.
Wonderfully comfortable, with an open fire in a feature fireplace (all coal included, logs available to buy), it oozes character and charm with its flagged floors and 300-year-old beams (and lovely piano!). The cottage is tastefully decorated, with many paintings and artefacts, and perches on the hillside above Swaledale, with a panoramic vista spread out below (very important, gates must be kept securely closed at all times, to avoid livestock damaging the garden).
Approach Nettlebed with a spirit of adventure and you won’t be disappointed! Spend your days out on the surrounding hills, soak up the sun in the lovely south-facing garden or snuggle up inside relaxing in front of the fire. Dog-friendly, Nettlebed is the perfect cottage for a holiday in beautiful Swaledale!
If you’re looking for modern luxury and high end finish, Nettlebed probably isn’t the cottage for you; but the views, isolated position and sheer charm of the cottage more than make up for that!
- Grade 2 listed
- Open fire – all coal provided, first trug of logs included, further logs available in the carthouse, please leave £5 for each further level trug you use
- TV, DVD player
- Piano that likes to be played!
- Telephone (honesty box)
- Cottage dining kitchen with under counter fridge
- Washing machine and belfast sink in stable
- Full size dishwasher
- Fridge/freezer (smallish freezer), in pantry. Also under counter fridge in kitchen
- Oil central heating from Rayburn (also used for cooking)
- Induction hob
- Iron and Ironing board
- Microwave oven
- No grill
- Private spring water supply, filters in place (during rainy weather, water may appear brown, but is perfectly safe to drink)
- 2 double bedrooms
- 1 twin bedroom
- 1 double bedroom has an extra single bed and a pullout single guest bed for alternative sleeping or 2 extra children
- It is possible to put the pullout bed in another bedroom, but guests are requested to put it back on departure to save the busy housekeeper having to manoeuvre it by herself along the landing
- All bed linen provided (please mention when booking if you need either of the extra single beds making up)
- Electric shower over cast iron rolltop bath
- WC and basin
- Drainage is to a septic tank
- Large garden
- Outhouse where hiking equipment/bikes can be stored
- Magnificent views over Swaledale
- The house is reached from the road by a winding unmade track (about 50m). The drive can be tricky when wet, but the car can be left on the lower part of the drive, so guests can walk up to the cottage (leave room for the farmer to get past on his tractor)
- Free WiFi (due to the 300 year old thick walls, wifi signal is somewhat limited)
Please mention when booking if you are bringing dogs (there is no extra charge).
Week bookings run from Saturday to Saturday (reserve online or telephone 01748 886366). To see price and availability, click the “Book Now” button (you have not committed yourself to a booking by doing so).
There is a two person, 10%, one bedroom discount available on week bookings between the end of October half term and the beginning of Easter (not festive period or Feb half term). Contact Judith direct to book the discount.
Short breaks are available between November and March (see FAQs). Please contact us to confirm a short break booking, or for a price for a different number of nights.
You can pay by cheque, BACS or by card. A deposit of £90 is due on booking, including a £10 booking fee. Please note, deposit and booking fee are non-refundable in the event of cancellation.
You can send a cheque, payable to Cat Hole Cottages Ltd, to Cat Hole House, Thwaite, Richmond DL11 6DR, with the name of the cottage and holiday date on back of chq; pay by BACS, sort code 09-01-28, acc 37806627, ref initials or first word of cottage and holiday date; ring to pay by card, 01748 886366. Sorry, we don’t accept online payments.
Nettlebed is found two miles from the charming little village of Gunnerside, which was first settled by the Vikings, followed by the lead miners. The last mile is along a single track road with some passing places (may be difficult in wintry weather). It can also be reached from Low Row, but still along single track road.
The house is reached from the road by a winding unmade track (about 50m). The drive can be tricky when wet, but the car can be left on the lower part of the drive, so guests can walk up to the cottage. Please ring to discuss if necessary.
Please see FAQs for information regarding car access to the house and in poor weather.